Wednesday 31 March 2010

'Carpe Diem'

Well this is a bit of a spontaneous post, but I'm in Rome at the moment, on holiday with my parents. I'll do a post about the holiday when it's over (we get back on Easter Saturday), but the reason for this post is a bit of thinking I was just doing in the shower (I know it's weird!)

About a month ago, a girl at my college died in a car accident. I didn't know her, wasn't in any of her lessons (she was in the year above, and doing different subjects) and was away on work experience when it happened, so didn't grieve for her in the personal way that I know many others did, but I think everyone who was linked to her at all was affected. The college's atmosphere changed overnight, whole classes went to her memorial and cried, and a facebook page for her was flooded with messages of love and support (and continues to be even now). I know that she will be very greatly missed by everyone who knew her. RIP Alice Worthington.

But the reason I'm thinking of Alice particularly today has probably got something to do with the fact that I'm in Italy. Stereotypically, Italians have 'emotional intelligence', while we Brits just have a 'stiff upper lip'. It's certainly true that Italians are passionate people - it's visible from watching them interact with each other, and that has probably prompted my deep thinking...



What I'm trying to say is, ultimately, that I need to live my life more. I need to stop thinking about the what ifs and the maybes of the future, and concentrate on the present - I AM ALIVE! and right now I should be grabbing my opportunities and getting out of them everything I can, but instead I seem to be grasping at the future. I think ahead too much and need to come back to the present, where I need to be living and serving at the moment.




When I was thinking about this, a Bible verse came to mind, John 10:10: '...I came that they may have life, and have it in abundance...'. So from now on, that's what I'm going to try to do - have life in abundance

No comments: